As discussed at the PAC 101 presentation here is the presentation:
This event is for PAC Executive or those parents interested in perhaps becoming PAC Exec. This is a roundtable interactive style discussion. The common questions will be covered but please bring the questions you have.
Registration is here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/pac-101-effective-pac-meetings-tickets-72953328369
Attached is the presentation by District Staff at the January DPAC general meeting.
1. Welcome and Introductions: Laura Ward, DPAC Chair
- Meeting was called to order at 7:04 pm.
- Door Prize
• Domino’s prize that was donated at the PAC 101 event last week and a BCCPAC notebook were awarded.
School Board Representatives and School Trustee were introduced:
• Gina Niccoli-Moen – Superintendent of Schools
• Heather Hart – Assistant Superintendent
• Wanda Mitchell – Assistant Superintendent
• Richard Per – Assistant Superintendent
• Baljinder Narang – School Trustee
DPAC executives were introduced:
• Laura Ward – Chair
• Dave Dye – Vice Chair
• Calvin Taplay – Treasurer
• Stace Dayment – Member at large
• Ashley Sandquist – Secretary
• Evangeline Jonasson – Member at large
• Dave Herman – Member at large
Baljinder Narang, School Trustee
• Spoke briefly about her experience as being a school trustee for 10 years and thanked parents for being the best advocates for their students.
• She also acknowledged the how well the DPAC executive handled the situation at the School Trustees All’s Candidate Meeting at Byrne Creek School.
2. Treasurer’s Workshop
Questions that followed the Financial Controls and Practices for PACs Presentation – see attached presentation
• Will the presentation be posted?
• Yes. See below for location.
• Do monthly reports need to be actually signed or is it acceptable if it comes via email by the treasurer?
• They need to be signed but it can be an electronic or manual signature.
• It is hard to know what the Hot Lunch expenses will be ahead of time. How can you manage this?
• There are always variances in budgets but this is okay.
• Hot lunch revenue and expenses should be in the PAC budget.
• Do not write a cheque until you know the amount via invoice.
• Some schools have a low value Visa card to use to pay the vendor on the day of the hot lunch while other PACs will use personal funds to pay
vendors and then they are reimbursed.
• Should we have a Petty Cash fund?
• It is recommended not to have petty cash as it is hard to manage.
• Is it okay to have money from year to year carrying over in the PAC bank accounts?
• This is fine but there should be some purpose for the funds and all fundraising efforts should have a purpose from the beginning.
• It is suggested to announce at beginning of year what PAC funds will be spent on that is raised each year.
• There are rules for the carrying forward for gaming funds.
• Is any software accounting is recommended?
• Excel is helpful but no specific recommendations.
• There are programs are low cost that could be useful.
• Is there a limitation to the amount transactions that can be done through the Cash Online system?
• It is likely only four transactions can be done at one at a time.
• Do you need a gaming licence for a Silent Auction?
• They do not think that it is necessary.
• If school secretary counts money from PAC and put into account, should PAC representatives be present to witness this?
• Yes, this is recommended.
• Can books be donated to a school library?
• Can be given to reading clubs and it is likely up to the librarian.
• Some schools have book swaps – give a book and get a book.
• Can School Cash On-Line be used to manage the hot lunch program?
• This can be done but it is at the discretion of the school secretary.
• How do you control the collection of cash during and event?
• Have one place where cash is received and always have two parents there to ensure no money goes missing.
• Where should the blank cheques be stored at the end of school year?
• Put cheques etc. into school safe or have them locked at the school.
• During the school year, cheques should be kept secure.
• Keep most of cheques locked.
• Have a few for daily use with the treasurer.
• Can PACs accept corporate donations for big ticket items?
• The school district has a policy for this.
• PACs need to discuss with the School Principal before the donation is accepted.
• What should be done if funds are raised for one purpose but the PAC decides that the funds would be better used for another purpose?
• A motion will need to be passed to change expenditure.
• If gaming funds are being used, ensure that the gaming funds rules are followed.
• Do you need a budget for each PAC bank account?
• Having one budget is fine but there should be a separate financial statement for each account (e.g., one financial statement for the gaming
account and one financial statement for the general account.
• Can Paypal be an option in Hot Lunch software?
• Paypal is not recommended for us but there is no policy on the use of Paypal.
• However, there have been issues with Paypal in the past.
• Do PACs have to use the District’s suppliers for big ticket items, such as playground and computer equipment?
• Yes, because of safety issues and compatibility with District systems.
• Should financial statements be prepared for each PAC meeting (in some cases, the PAC only meet 4 times per year)?
• Monthly financial statements are recommended.
• BC Gaming Grant Summary Reports
• Remember to complete these within 90 days of end of fiscal year or a school may lose gaming grants in future years.
3. Break: 8:05 to 8:20 pm.
4. DPAC Updates
• Friendly reminder that $75 Fee is due at the end of December.
• Buildings and Grounds
• Meeting was held on September 19, 2018.
• Minutes will be made attached to November’s minutes
• Emergency Preparedness
• Meeting will be in the next few weeks so no report at this time.
• Public Safety and DAC Committees
• These reports were not available at meeting time.
• November meeting will include Fundraising 101 presentation.
• Municipal Elections
• Will be held on October 2018.
• Please get out and vote.
5. At Our School – Show & Tell
Second Street Craft Fair – November 22, 2018
• 2:30 to 7 pm in gym.
• Funds raised will support field trips.
• Tables can be rented for $20.
Aubrey Craft Fair – November 29, 2018
• 2 to 8 pm
• Vendors can contact Aubrey School if they wish to rent a table.
Edmond/Stride Joint Garage Sale – October 27, 2018
• Event will be at Edmonds School 10 to 2 pm.
• Tables can be rented for $10.
• Contact Community Coordinator for more information.
Second Street Halloween Fireworks – October 31, 2018
• Approximately 8:15 pm or dusk.
• Refreshments will be available.
• Parking is limited.
6. Questions & Answers
How much have PACs donated for Dry Grads?
• Cariboo – $2000
• Mountain – $2500
• Moscrop – $3000
Where will the financial presentation be posted?
• On the Burnaby School District website but there will be a link to it on the will DPAC website as well.
Meeting was adjourned 8:30 pm.
Next meeting – November 19, 2018.
Minutes were taken by Karen Eickhoff
WEBSITE – www.burnabydpac.com Email your events to be published.
COMMUNICATION – Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
FACEBOOK – https://www.facebook.com/BurnabyDPAC
Here is a copy of the presentation from the District team.
Please find the minutes of our May 22 Burnaby DPAC Annual General Meeting here: 2018-05-22 DPAC AGM Minutes_Final
Following the DPAC AGM, the newly elected 2018-2019 DPAC Executive met and appointed the following executive positions for the 2018-2019 school year:
- Chairperson: Laura Ward
- Vice Chairperson: Dave Dye
- Treasurer: Calvin Taplay
- Secretary: Ashley Sandquist
- Members at Large: Herman Louie, Evangeline Jonasson, Shams Chowdhury, Stace Dayment
Congratulations to the newly elected members of the DPAC Executive Committee for the 2018-2019 school year who were elected at the May 22 AGM.
The 2018-2019 Burnaby DPAC Executive Committee is comprised of the following members:
- Brentwood North Zone: Stace Dayment, Calvin Taplay
- Cariboo Lougheed Zone: Dave Dye, Laura Ward
- Central West Zone: Evangeline Jonasson, Herman Louie
- Kingsway South Zone: Shams Chowdhury, Ashley Sandquist
In accordance with the Burnaby DPAC Constitution, in the coming weeks the Executive Committee will select their chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary and treasurer from amongst the Executive Committee members.
Our next DPAC meeting is our Annual General Meeting, taking place on Tuesday, May 22 from 6:30 to 9 PM at Burnaby Central. A copy of the meeting agenda is available here: DPAC 22-05-2018 AGENDA
Please find the minutes of our April 16 Burnaby DPAC general meeting here: 2018-04-16 DPAC General Meeting Minutes_Final