Please find the minutes of our April 16 Burnaby DPAC general meeting here: 2018-04-16 DPAC General Meeting Minutes_Final
At the May Burnaby DPAC General meeting, the 2018-2019 Executive Committee elections will be taking place. The May General meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 22 at 6:30 PM at Burnaby Central Secondary School (6011 Deer Lake Parkway, Burnaby, BC V5G 0A9).
An official call for nominations was sent out to all Burnaby DPAC representatives via email on April 20, 2018.
Per Section VI of the Burnaby DPAC Constitution,
1. A maximum of two DPAC representatives will be elected from each zone of the school district yearly to serve on the Executive Committee. Representatives’ elected to the Executive Committee must have a child enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 12 in the Burnaby school system.
2. In addition to the two DPAC representatives from each zone, one member at large position can be appointed at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
3. Executive Committee shall select when required from its membership a chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary and treasurer.
4. No employee or elected official of any school district or the Ministry of Education shall be eligible to serve as an Executive Committee officer.
Section VII of the Constitution outlines the responsibilities of the Burnaby DPAC Executive Committee:
SECTION VII EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES
It is the responsibility of the Executive Committee:
1. To be the formal liaison between the School Board and DPAC representatives regarding parent involvement in school district operations.
2. To identify and appoint parent representatives to represent DPAC on school district and community committees.
3. To ensure that there is representation from Burnaby parents at appropriate educational workshops, meetings and conferences.
4. To take responsibility for the operations of the DPAC including chairing district meetings, recording the proceedings and managing the financial affairs of the DPAC.
5. To identify topics and plan meeting format and agenda for district parent meetings
6. To act as group leaders and recorders in group discussions at district meetings and to be the communication liaison between DPAC representatives in each of the district’s zones.
7. To inform DPAC representatives, on an ongoing basis, of the issues and topics being discussed at Executive meetings and at the various committees where DPAC has membership.
A full copy of the Burnaby DPAC Constitution is available at on the Burnaby DPAC website at: http://www.burnabydpac.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dpac.constitution.rev11.04.18.pdf
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the elections and/or the role of DPAC Executive Committee members, please don’t hesitate to a member of the current DPAC Executive.
Below please find a link to the School District presentation given at the April 16 DPAC General meeting regarding:
- the Preliminary 2018-19 School District Operating Budget,
- School Protection Plan Insurance, and
- Ministry of Education Funded Playground Equipment Replacement.
As you know BCCPAC is holding its Annual General Meeting (AGM) this May 5 and 6 at the Pacific Gateway Hotel in Richmond. At the AGM members will debate and vote on resolutions that advocate for change to BC’s public education system and/or give direction to the BCCPAC Board of Directors in their work as the representatives for PACs and DPACs at the provincial level.
If your PAC is not sending a delegate to the AGM this May, please be sure to submit a completed Proxy form and (voting instructions) to the Burnaby DPAC executive so we are able to vote on your behalf. We anticipate that a couple of our DPAC executive members will be attending and will be able to hold a Proxy for your PAC. Thus far, DPAC Secretary Jocelyn Schonekess has confirmed her attendance at the AGM. (While DPAC Vice Chair Jen Mezei is also attending the AGM, she is not able to hold any proxy forms as she will be chairing the AGM.) As other DPAC Executives’ attendance is confirmed, we will let you know.
Here is the link to the BCCPAC AGM Resolution booklet and the Proxy forms and the Voting Instruction Forms:
Please return your signed Proxy form via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Tuesday, May 1. If you only list one DPAC executive member on your proxy form, it is recommended that if you do NOT check the box on the proxy form that indicates that “you do not wish to authorize a transfer.” That way, if the DPAC Executive member listed is unable to attend or has to leave early, your proxy and voting instructions can be reassigned to another Burnaby parent in attendance.
Based on the BCCPAC website, below is list of BCCPAC member PACs from the Burnaby School District who are eligible to vote at the 2018 AGM:
* Armstrong Elementary (Ecole)
* Brentwood Park Elementary
* Buckingham Elementary
* Burnaby Central Secondary
* Burnaby Mountain Secondary
* Burnaby North Secondary
* Burnaby South Secondary
* Byrne Creek Secondary
* Cameron Elementary
* Capitol Hill Elementary (Ecole)
* Cariboo Hill Secondary (Ecole)
* Confederation Park Elementary
* Douglas Road Elementary
* Gilmore Community School
* Gilpin Elementary
* Glenwood Elementary
* Inman Elementary (Ecole)
* Lochdale Community School
* Moscrop Secondary
* Nelson Elementary
* Seaforth Elementary (Ecole)
* Second Street Community
* Stoney Creek Elementary
* Twelfth Avenue Elementary
* University Highlands Elementary
If you have any questions on the BCCPAC AGM or regarding proxies, please contact the DPAC Executive at email@example.com.