Please find the minutes of our October 16 Burnaby DPAC general meeting here: October DPAC General Meeting Minutes
Our next DPAC General Meeting is taking place on Monday, October 16 from 7 to 9 PM at Burnaby Central. A copy of the meeting agenda is available here: DPAC 16-10-2017 AGENDA
The October meeting will include a presentation on PAC Finances. We encourage DPAC Reps to bring other PAC Executive members with them to this meeting, especially any new Treasurers.
At our next DPAC general meeting on Monday, October 16, the agenda will include a presentation on PAC Finances.
We encourage DPAC representatives to invite their fellow PAC executive members to attend with them to hear the presentation.
The meeting is taking place in Conference Room A206 at Burnaby Central at 7 PM. We look forward to seeing you there!
Please find the minutes of our September 18 Burnaby DPAC general meeting here
The agenda for the September 18 Burnaby DPAC general meeting is available here
DPAC is looking for a few volunteers to participate on the School District’s parent consultation group regarding custodial services. As mentioned at the May 15 DPAC meeting, the School District is seeking the participation of 4 to 6 Burnaby parents who are able to attend two consultation group meeting(s) between May 29 and June 9. The consultation group will provide feedback/input on the School District’s Custodial Services and the recent review. Currently, the tentative meetings dates are 5:30 pm on Tuesday, June 6 and 5:30 pm on Thursday, June 8. If you are interesed in participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org@burnabydpac.com by this Monday, May 22.
At the May Burnaby DPAC General meeting, the 2017-2018 Executive Committee elections will be taking place. The May General meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 15 at 7 PM at Burnaby Central Secondary School (6011 Deer Lake Parkway, Burnaby, BC V5G 0A9).
An official call for nominations was sent out to all Burnaby DPAC representatives via email on April 13, 2017.
Per Section VI of the Burnaby DPAC Constitution,
1. A maximum of two DPAC representatives will be elected from each zone of the school district yearly to serve on the Executive Committee. Representatives’ elected to the Executive Committee must have a child enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 12 in the Burnaby school system.
2. In addition to the two DPAC representatives from each zone, one member at large position can be appointed at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
3. Executive Committee shall select when required from its membership a chairperson, vice-chairperson, secretary and treasurer.
4. No employee or elected official of any school district or the Ministry of Education shall be eligible to serve as an Executive Committee officer.
Section VII of the Constitution outlines the responsibilities of the Burnaby DPAC Executive Committee:
SECTION VII EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITIES
It is the responsibility of the Executive Committee:
1. To be the formal liaison between the School Board and DPAC representatives regarding parent involvement in school district operations.
2. To identify and appoint parent representatives to represent DPAC on school district and community committees.
3. To ensure that there is representation from Burnaby parents at appropriate educational workshops, meetings and conferences.
4. To take responsibility for the operations of the DPAC including chairing district meetings, recording the proceedings and managing the financial affairs of the DPAC.
5. To identify topics and plan meeting format and agenda for district parent meetings
6. To act as group leaders and recorders in group discussions at district meetings and to be the communication liaison between DPAC representatives in each of the district’s zones.
7. To inform DPAC representatives, on an ongoing basis, of the issues and topics being discussed at Executive meetings and at the various committees where DPAC has membership.
A full copy of the Burnaby DPAC Constitution is available at on the Burnaby DPAC website at: http://www.burnabydpac.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dpac.constitution.rev11.04.18.pdf
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the elections and/or the role of DPAC Executive Committee members, please don’t hesitate to a member of the current DPAC Executive.
The Burnaby DPAC received a written response from Education Minister Mike Bernier regarding the letter we sent the Ministers of Finance and Education in support of the recommendatinos on K-12 Education as found in the November 2016 report of the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services.
A copy of the Minister’s letter can be found here.
The Burnaby DPAC will continue to advocate for predictable, sustainable and adequate funding for capital and operational expenses in BC’s public schools.
On April 3, Secretary Treasurer Russell Horwsill and Deputy Secretary Treasurere Roy Uyeno presented to DPAC representatives on the 2017-2018 School District operating budget process.
A copy of their presentation is available here.
Handout on the 2017-2018 Operating Grant Allocation Formula: Overview of the 2017-18 Operating Grant Formula